Saturday, October 18, 2008

Great Adventure...

We started the day as a motorcycle ride/adventure to go from Calgary to Highway #40 "Kananaskis", then south to Longview and on to points beyond. Greg Wilson made the initial suggestion to ride on Saturday... I put the word out and Richard Clark said yes. So it was to be a 3 musketeers trip or is that 3 stooges? I'm not sure I guess it depends on who you ask. We planned to meet at my place and take off at 9 am, thinking that by then it would warm up a bit. Greg called at 9 and said he was running late and would meet us at Longview around 11am.

As we traveled out of Calgary on 22X, temperatures drop and it gets pretty cool. By the time we reach Brag Creek temperatures are hovering around freezing. Richard and I look over the situation and decide to continue into the Kananaskis on HWY 66 and take Powder Face trail ( a gravel pass ) that will connect with Highway #40 after it wiggles around the mountains a little. We're game for a little excitement and adventure.

As we left Bragg Creek area I said "Are you up for a little snow and gravel mixed?" We thought for a moment and of course neither one of us was about to say no to "A little Adventure".... So we're off. After a few close encounters with the local critters "deer" we got to the gravel road. Temperatures are now just below freezing and snowing lightly...


The scenery was ... as usual... tremendous. Even with the intensity of really slippery conditions it was just fantastic to be out "adventuring"...

Is it just me or does this remind you of "gorillas in the mist?"
I'm just asking! And I mean that in the nicest way!.... Bless his heart ;)

One of my auxilliary lights needs a little love after I slipped on one of the steep icy down hill sections... What's an adventure without a bruise or two?


Not super deep here, however there were places where the snow got deep and as it warmed up during the morning .... the tire tracks got ICY! Now that's sport..... a 700 lb motorcycle on snow, ice and gravel... What were we thinking.... ?

Powder Face took a lot longer than I expected! Consequently we (I) didn't make it in time to meet up with Greggy Wilson.


My day ends well. Hwy 40 is mostly clear, so I wick up the throtle, and rip it to Longview. Greg had called me 2 minutes before I arrived in Longview so I called him back but he was no longer available on his phone. So we missed eachother. Greg "I'm really sorry we didn't get to rip it today, I was looking forward to hangin' with you."

Marks Musings.... Today, I'm just plain grateful. Nature is amazing... We were able to stay warm... We were safe... on the edge a little but safe. We had a great adventure, saw some amazing scenery. Had some "yikes" experiences where your heart skipps and unusual language automatically comes into your mind and sneeks past your lips before you can say "Bob's your uncle". Gotta work on that. The equipment we had worked flawlessly, bikes were amazing as usual, layers of quality gear kept us warm and cozy. As they say in the Raymond news paper, "A good time was had by all."

No comments: