Thursday, July 17, 2008

The Quick Trip Home...

I started to come home (Calgary) at about 8:00 am Sunday July 6th. As I was riding through Phoenix heading North I made the executive decision to go through Prescott, Jerome, and Sedona, then on to Flagstaff and points North. This is by no means the shortest route but definitly a fun and scenic way to head North on highway 93 and turning right on 89.

This is a shot of the narrow winding road into Jerome AZ, an old mining town, turned to be a tourist attraction. The town is built on a steep hill side with the main highway (89) switchbacking and acting as the main street to town. Cool spot.

At about 2:00 am, about 20 miles south of Sun Valley Idaho, I was so tired I began to halucinate animals on the road. Time for a power nap. I came on a rest stop and pulled in. I then set up camp on a picknick table, therma rest, sleeping bag and all. Boots off .... I estimate that about 45 minutes into my power nap ......... the automatic sprinklers came on, being really tired I didn't wake up right away.... thouroughly soaked and now not needing a shower, (already had a sleeping bag shower) I got up tried to get back to sleep on the asphalt parking lot, no luck so continue on. Stopped for fuel in Hailey and gulped a redbull... Good to go ... Kinda.
It is a good idea to pay attention to the signs. Or else be ready for a short nap.


As you get into the town of Ketchum / Sunvalley there is a road that goes North (Trail Creek) and hooks up to the Challis Road (highway 93) in about 80 miles of an amazing gravel road. This was early morning about 5:30.

I stopped when I spotted Lorne Arfman standing on a ladder in front of his clothing store in Salmon Idaho. Lorne is a great individual that I am honored to know. When I stopped Lorne let me know that his Brother in law, Bill Studebaker drowned in a kyaking accident on the 4th of July. We spoke of Bill and his accomplishments for a while ..... I left Lorne to work and I pushed North, on 93.

As I continued North out of Salmon, I reflected on Bill's fate. Bill Studebaker, who played the roll of professor, author, poet, activist, extreme adventurist, mentor, friend, example, husband, father, grandfather, son, brother and many other rolls not mentioned here. A wonderful man who lived his life fully. Wide full open. He died while partaking in one of his lifes passions, Kyaking the Salmon river. He pushed hard and enjoyed much. Bill positivly influenced every one who spent enough time with him to know him. Even those of us who know Bill casually knew that when you were around Bill you were in the presence of a great individual. Thank You Bill. We will miss you. Thank You for setting the bar high, and for giving us the drive to live every day... Completely. A big hug and thank you to Judy, for sharing Bill with so many of us interlopers. We wish you well, and are sincerely sorry for your loss, Bill will be sorely missed by all who knew him. May God bless you and your entire family in this difficult time. Mark

I continued to push North and made it home around 10 pm Monday July 7, 38 hours after leaving Phoenix. A strong push. I was able to pack a lot of travel, distance, experience, and living into a pretty short time. Lovin' it. mb

Next: Father and Son go on "Rideabout"

No comments: