Monday, June 16, 2008

"Mat's Ride" for teenage depression 2008

This is an annual motorcycle ride to raise money for and awarness of Teenage Depression.



I have never ridden in a large group like this. So it was a new experience for me. The group dynamics of this event were palpable. From the ponytail feller who was the ride marshall to the outriders who ended up being truly anoying, the group ride thing is not my favorite.

All that stuff aside it was a pleasure to be there and to participate in a worthwhile event. I heard about this ride last week and decided that it would be a good thing to attend. My intention was to attend and then go out and do a rippen' ride somewhere west of Calgary. With that in mind we all 'rondez voused' at Parkland Stake Center. Staging for the ride was cool, I met some great folks and looked over some very cool rides. There were some treats provided and good schmoozing with some quality folks.
With road construction all around us some folks were a little tardy. So we waited for a few extra minutes. Thad Manden, Brent and Juli Fairbanks were there, allong with Frank Stanford and some of his offspring. I got to thinkin' maybe I should break from the group and round up Nola and we can go out together. So I did. When I got home Nola was making breakfast, which she promptly abandoned and got ready to go. Carter was home too, so I asked him if he wanted to go, he made some calls and decided it would be a good idea. Just as we were ready to take off Nola said "Lets see if Auz wants to go!" He did want to go. So Auz went with me on the Adventure, and Nola was with Carter on the Boxer Cup.
Top: This is an Auz picture from the back of the Adventure with Carter and Nola just in front of us. Bottom: A long group of folks in front of Carter and Nola... Great picture Auz!


We caught up with the group as they went through Bragg Creek, and headed out to the Trans Canada and then out to Rafter 6 Ranch. Food was underway by the time we got out to the Ranch and it was GOOD. Steak and Beans and all the other fixin's to go with it... MMMMMM.... good

We then listened to Jeremy Kroker's motorcycle escapades in the Middle East. Great stuff Jeremy. I bought Jeremy's book called Motorcycle Therapy, and read it right away, good read, and Jeremy gives a fantastic presentation.

This was a wonderful day for me, and the family. It was so nice that we could all get together and share the experience. The impressive thing for me is that Nola, Carter and Auz were flexable enough and impulsive enough to take off for the day and have a 'Family Adventure' together, unplaned, unrehearsed and totally impromptu. Auz on the big streach with Nola and Carter in the background...
Thanks for the early Father's Day present ... (Your impulsive and adventuresome attitudes are a blessing to me.)

No comments: